I got an email from a good friend of mine titled "Handbook 2009"
Normally, I just breeze through/ignore/sometimes when I'm in a real foul mood, just SHIFT+DEL these without even opening them!!! However, with yours truly having nothing much to do, I continued reading it.. The content of the email was really simple... no flowery language, no cheesy pictures around or not even a mention of "forward this to 20million ppl in an hour".. and all that blah..
There were five categories and each one had a list of do's/dont's to be happy :)
Here it is:
1. Drink plenty of water.
2. Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a beggar.
3. Eat more foods that grow on trees and plants and eat less food that is manufactured.
4. Live with the 3 E's -- Energy, Enthusiasm, and Empathy.
5. Make time to practice meditation, yoga, and prayer.
6. Play more games.
7. Read more books than you did in 2008.
8. Sit in silence for at least 10 minutes each day.
9. Sleep for 7 hours.
10. Take a 10-30 minutes’ walk every day. And while you walk, smile.
11. Don't compare your life to others'. You have no idea what their journey is all about.
12. Don't have negative thoughts or things you cannot control. Instead invest your energy in the positive present moment.
13. Don't overdo. Keep your limits.
14. Don't take yourself so seriously. No one else does.
15. Don't waste your precious energy on gossip.
16. Dream more while you are awake.
17. Envy is a waste of time. You already have all you need.
18. Forget issues of the past. Don't remind your partner with his/her mistakes of the past. That will ruin your present happiness.
19. Life is too short to waste time hating anyone. Don't hate others.
20. Make peace with your past so it won't spoil the present.
21. No one is in charge of your happiness except you.
22. Realize that life is a school and you are here to learn. Problems are simply part of the curriculum that appear and fade away like algebra class but the lessons you learn will last a lifetime.
23. Smile and laugh more.
24. You don't have to win every argument. Agree to disagree.
25. Call your family often.
26. Each day give something good to others.
27. Forgive everyone for everything.
28. Spend time with people over the age of 70 & under the age of 6.
29. Try to make at least three people smile each day.
30. What other people think of you is none of your business.
31. Your job won't take care of you when you are sick. Your friends will. Stay in touch.
32. Do the right thing!
33. Get rid of anything that isn't useful, beautiful or joyful.
34. GOD heals everything.
35. However good or bad a situation is, it will change.
36. No matter how you feel, get up, dress up and show up.
37. The best is yet to come.
38. When you awake alive in the morning, thank GOD for it.
39. Your Inner most is always happy. So, be happy.
I especially liked #11 and #12- maybe coz its relevant to what I was thinking prior to receiving this list... I had a marathon phone conversation with a good friend of mine, who is "happily settled"... I envied her for having a "to-die-for" job(Yes, complete with H1B sponsorship!), living in a beautiful city(Ok Ok.. I know Springfield is a city too!), a nice car(hmmmm.. I think I own the better one though ;), a steady boyfriend(No Comments on that one!!... the guy is too serious for my liking), and overall a great life that others can be envious of!! SIGH! Grow up Aishu.... :-(
I guess I just need to remind myself of
#17 - Envy is a waste of time. You already have all you need (Really?!?!?!)
I've decided to tape this up in my room.. read it once every morning coz these days I seem to find the need to remind myself of my existence!!
Cheers to Viju Etta for sending this to me!