Thursday, July 4, 2013

June - Part I(The good stuff)

Oh dear. Where has the month of June flown by?! But I will tell you -  I don't miss her one bit coz June was a bitch! Yup. I was busy. Social events took up all my time. Bridal showers, bachelorettes, mehendi/sangeet, cocktails, weddings, anniversaries, birthdays and the likes. Let me start with the nicer things that happened.
The month started with K turning a year older. It came on a Saturday so I spent the entire day with him. I gave him a picture of a Buddha and wooden chimes, both of which he's been wanting for a very long time. The day started as usual with a visit to the temple. My folks and K's dad were not in town, so we didn't have to hang around with either of the fams much to his delight. I announced that kitchen would be closed for the day and that all meals will be out! :P We had yumm idli, dosa, vadas for breakfast. We then drove to see my grandmother and spent some time with her. Then we came home, lazed around, watched TV etc by which time his friends, Vandy & Vivek called and said they wanted us to meet them for lunch. Off we drove to Vivek's office, hung around and waited for more folks to show up. Then a big gang of us went to Benjarong, one of our favorite restaurants in town! The Tom Yum soup is to die for! One of his friends, Balls(who btw is over 45 I think!) is a great sport and super funny! He can go on making me laugh! After a full meal of soup, rice, noodles and fried ice cream, we decided to come back home. But I somehow felt that an element of surprise was much needed. So I called K's other set of friends(yes he has quite a few of them!) and asked the 2 couples if they would like to come home in the evening and surprise him. I planned to call them over and order some pizzas for dinner. Unfortunately, Deva & Vids couldn't come because it was his parents' anniversary as well, so they opted out. I still went ahead and convinced CP & Suds to come. This was the plan -
Me: Suds & Ceeps, buzz me when you are near LB Road signal. I will ensure the door is kept open. You guys just barge in and surprise him.
S & C: Ok.
20 min later...
S & C: Hey, we are near your house. Another 5 min away.
Me: Err. Ok there is a problem. My husband is still sleeping and he isn't exactly dressed very well! What do I do? He refuses to wake up! Ok never mind. U guys come and call me.
5 min later...
S&C: Hey. We are down. Can we come up?
Me: Hmm. Ok. He is still plonked in bed. Do one thing. Ring the bell. I'll send him to open it. And then you guys surprise him.
They ring the bell. And I decide to open because he is not getting out of bed.
I open the door slowly and show my face. I see 2 very very excited faces hiding in the sides, ready to pounce on me saying "Surprise"!! Thankfully I quickly get them to shut up!! They are super duper pissed. Haha. It was hilarious.
Me: Ok here's the deal. I'm going to go back and tell him, 2nd floor uncle is here to speak. Once he comes, you guys surprise him.
S & C: Nod their heads gingerly.. as they are not sure of my plan!
Well in the end, it did all work out fine. K was surprised!! Yay! Phew. Mission accomplished. We ended up creeping ourselves out by watching Pizza and ordering from Papa Johns. Great way to end the birthday indeed!
Once K's birthday finished, I got busy with 2 other events. The first one was my very good friend, Esther's wedding. I've known Esther from MBA days. She was my first room mate and we never hit it off. But over the years, we got to know each other so so well. She's a real darling and I was so so happy that she got married to someone very sweet, at least Cecil seemed to be! :D Congrats and all the best guys! =)
June 14th also happened to be my in laws 40th wedding anniversary. Ooh. Sexy no? Obviously it called for a celebration of sorts. My sister in law was also in town that weekend. So Saturday, the 5 of us(her hubs couldn't join as he was in training) went to Dakshin at Park Sheraton to celebrate. I made a scrap book of sorts for them where I got everybody else across the country to send in messages for them. Thanks a ton Sudha, Sunil, Malati Chitti, Usha Perima, Vidu, Manasi and the rest of the gang for the uber cool messages, pics and the poem. They absolutely loved it! Basically I went in chronological order.. starting with their marriage, pics of the kids, pics of extended family with their respective messages etc. Was hard work but was totally worth. I wish them happiness, good health and peace of mind in the years to come :) Lunch at Dakshin was fab! I loved the different chutneys and the food in general. Cool stuff. A very memorable anniversary indeed.

To Be Continued.... 

No comments: